The audio recordings are in Catalan.
Don Melchor Rosselló: Audios: 8 talks and Conference on Don Joan Alcover
We have 12 audio recordings featuring Don Melcior Rosselló: 8 conversations and 4 segments from the lecture he gave in 2004 to the Retired Teachers' Brotherhood regarding Don Joan Alcover. Consequently, in the final installment of the conversations with Don Melchor Rosselló, we label it "Conversation 7 of 12"; however, it is important to distinguish between a conversation and a lecture. In conversations, there are one or more participants alongside the main subject, whereas a lecture is delivered by a single speaker.
Here, we present the 8 conversations held with Don Melchor Rosselló, as well as the four segments into which we have divided the lecture he gave on Don Joan Alcover. We have split the lecture into four parts to make listening to them in separate sessions easier; presenting the entire lecture as a single audio file would make it excessively long—over an hour. All 12 recordings—both the conversations and the lecture—were made in 2004.
Talks:
First conversation: 3:12
Actions of the Republic; Professional Teaching Plan. Teachers and instructors. The three graduating classes. Don Melchor discusses the teaching-related initiatives undertaken by the Second Republic, the professional teaching plan, the instructors from the Normal School who implemented it, the students from the plan's first three (and only) graduating classes, and his own experiences as a student in the third class.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zuAIE3KD5NFJVDv-Lw9KwLPVxk-j4Er3/view?usp=drive_link
Second conversation: 10:35
We continue with the same topics as the first, discussing them in greater detail: The third graduating class of the Professional Plan. The first textbooks. A contrast between the training provided by the Second Republic and that of the insurgent forces. The enthusiasm and competence of the teachers from the Professional Plan. The year of student teaching. Repeating the practicum. The happiness of one of Don Melchor’s students: "The History Lesson." Assignment to the *Escola Graduada* (Graded School). The *peraires* (wool-combers). Don Melchor’s brothers and military service.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WDoCKu4rM7SdM4FGQ28GXA8yZXzw5OFu/view?usp=drive_link
Third Conversation: 10:19
He continues: "Because of my brothers, I was exempt from military service, so I could dedicate myself to being a teacher. They made me repeat my student teaching. A great preschool teacher, Doña Maria y Santandreu; Olmos, García Saiz, Jaume Oliver. A debate about which teacher training plan was better: the Professional Plan or the 'Plan of '14.' Don Gabriel Viñas, Celia Viñas—many people who trained under the Plan of '14..."
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aM8X0gyBUQ5cDGW6QcjVYvDFxch5pzwB/view?usp=drive_link
Fourth Conversation: 6:24
"I’m a bit nervous. This year (2004) marks the 150th anniversary of the births of Costa and Alcover, and 'their brotherhood of teachers' wants to hold an event to celebrate it. Last night, around 10 o'clock, Catalina Felani called me: 'Cion, are you asleep yet?' We’re going to hold a very simple event... and when they ask me to speak about the Viñedos... memories come flooding back... I think I’ll do a good job... While Costa led a very placid life, Don Joan Alcover was a man forever linked to death. Uncle. Tuberculosis. Mama Teresa was a niece of Don Joan Alcover..."
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y0tgWn3N6EgQFzFstHmDZ7T1EOqKi9Uy/view?usp=sharing
Fifth conversation: 4:56
Continuing... "Don Joan Alcover had a brother who was a notary and quite renowned... and this young woman was the notary's daughter. I knew Don Joan—not well; I might have seen him two or three times in Santa Maria. I must have been about six years old. As a child, I used to stay with my godparents near the square in Santa Maria—right by the church. Don Joan used to come here, and very possibly, he drew inspiration for the stanza in *La Balanguera*—where it says: 'When the couple returns from the wedding / she sees and sings to their children / she sees them descend into the forge / those who now live in the cradle / in the square... / *La Balanguera* will spin.' In this painting—which I cherish—you can see the house, the square, and the street. We talk about Francisca Comes, the conversations with her, the trip to Barcelona to pay tribute to Doña Rosa..."
Sixth conversation: 11:59
Continuing... he tells us about his house in Santa Maria (his godparents' house—the one on the left in the photograph; the one on the right is the Town Hall) and about Antoni Borràs: "the first person to hold a degree in pedagogy; had he made the most of it, he could have gone as far as he wanted. Later... even Antoni Ensenyat reached out to me, but I said, 'And leave everything I have here?' I was already the head of the *Escuela Anexa* [Attached School], and the inspector, Blat Gimeno, proposed that I go to Paris for a few years, but—as you can imagine—I didn't want to leave everything I had here." At that time, I was working on *Las Rutas de Mallorca* [The Routes of Mallorca]... a young woman who was very interested in speaking with me—I told her no, that I was already retired and had nothing more to say. This went on two or three times until one day she said, "Sion, I can't do it anymore; I'll tell her to come over, and you can tell her whatever you want." That young woman was Francisca Comas; she introduced herself... He speaks of San Felipe Neri, of Father Mateu, of his visit to Barcelona with Francisca Comas to talk about Doña Rosa: "Doña Rosa is generating a lot of interest in Catalonia right now. Just as we have the retired teachers' brotherhood here, they have the 'Association of Former Students of Sa Normal'..."
Seventh Conversation: 30:40
This is the first conversation we had with Don Melchor after he gave the lecture on Don Juan Alcover.
He tells me that the Brotherhood is preparing another lecture—this time on "En Costa"—but that he won't be the one giving it. We discuss the lecture he *did* give on Juan Alcover, the magazine *Quimera*, Don Tofol Serra, Don Juan Alcover's legacy, Don Pablo, and the fact that his house is now the headquarters of the "Obra de Mallorca." We also talk about Andreu Crespí visiting the home of Don Juan Alcover's son, Don Melchor's sister in Son Ferriol, and the two streets in El Molinar located very close to one another: one dedicated to Guillermo Canyellas Alcover—a passionate Francoist—and the other to Aurora Picornell, the leading figure among the "Rojas del Molinar" [Red Women of El Molinar].
Eighth conversation: 59:40
Don Melchor tells us about his three brothers: the eldest, Pedro, went to France and later returned, only to face legal proceedings; the second, Tolo, had to report for duty—he went to Inca and then to the mainland, where he became an ensign and rose through the ranks; and the youngest, Juan—who was like a son to Father Cerdá—was a prodigy. He knew everything, became a navigator, wanted to go to Russia, and ended up staying there; it was a great shame, as Juan could have had a brilliant career. I was in Palma working as a teacher. I had a book here with a note that read: "first teacher's salary, December 3, 1936"... The mayor took a personal interest in the schools—much like Mayor Emili Dader. I remember when I was doing my student teaching at the *Escuela Graduada* in Palma; he arrived one day while school furniture was being unloaded. When he saw a table with a group of students, he said "no" to a formal lunch; instead, he pulled up a chair and ate the same meal the students were having. He also visited the kitchen, and after he left, we asked the cook what he had said. She replied: "He congratulated me; he told me everything was very clean and the food was excellent." "My brother died in the Battle of the Ebro (fighting for the Nationalists); he had attended the Augustinian school—which was a disaster—and had gone off the rails, so he was sent to Father Cerdà. Cerdà was a distant relative of ours and the headmaster of the school in Inca; he was deeply grateful to us because an ancestor of ours had once helped him in every way possible. He also spoke to me about Antoni Bellés Capellà—married to Rosa Satandreu, the daughter of the doctor from the village of Santa Margalida—noting that both had been teachers in Santa Margalida... and then the war broke out... the teachers underwent political purges... and all that. I was among the very first to be purged; one day someone came and said, 'Look, I have your file here,' but I told him, 'I don't want to see it; I don't want to talk about any of this—these are wounds that are hard to heal.'" We went on talking about Randa and Father Cerdà—and how he completely transformed my brother—in what was perhaps the most extensive, comprehensive, and illuminating conversation of the eight we had regarding the Civil War.
A lecture given by Don Melchor Rosselló to the Retired Teachers' Association regarding Don Joan Alcover. He delivered it in 2004, between the sixth and seventh talks. I do not know the exact date, though the Association might have that information. Could it have been April 14, 2004?
In 2004, Don Melchor Rosselló gave a lecture on Don Joan Alcover at the Retired Teachers' Association. We have divided the lecture into four parts to make listening easier, as the full lecture in a single audio file would have been too long—over an hour. The first part lasts 17 minutes, the second 20 minutes, the third 24 minutes, and the fourth and final part 56 minutes. So, let’s begin with the first part of the lecture:
Lecture on Don Joan Alcover – Part 1 (17 minutes)
The first part—the one we are presenting today—begins with a tremendous amount of background noise from the audience. It was so loud that I used an app to remove the noise and isolate the speaker's voice. I succeeded, but Don Melchor's voice was altered so much that he was unrecognizable; consequently, I decided to leave the recording exactly as it was. This affects about the first 20 seconds, after which the recording returns to normal.
Lecture on Don Joan Alcover 2. 20 minutes
To be continued...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1n4CLNOL2zD0zBodaLqgVXFMpIemvU-eV/view?usp=drive_link

Lecture on Don Joan Alcover 3. 24 minutes
Continued...
https://drive.google.com/file/d/102OyKE484EhxcbZ9jTf62xDFt81WDnGK/view?usp=drive_link

Conference on Don Joan Alcover 4 and last. 56 minutes
Continue... and finish.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FR4qTcJWpxtODiRfao2X3ZCvvdkkgjWr/view?usp=drive_link
___________________________
No hay comentarios :
Publicar un comentario